Monday, August 18, 2014

Heart of the matter...

I think I have figured why writing is so hard for me...I don't want to write about the now. When I start to write and tell about Thailand a million memories come to my mind, I get so overwhelmed I don't know where to start. Not just Thailand memories but life memories. I think to myself "I should write that down" then I get discouraged because I have lived quite the life and have never been a writer. Then I realize I am 24, I still have a lot of life to live and a lot of time to write.

It has been intense over here in my mind, body, and heart. Such a growing process. I think the way Peace Corps changes the world is by changing the hearts and opening the minds of Americans. For me, I am changing the world because I am changing my heart. That is a big deal.

My idea of being a Peace Corps volunteer was never that I would serve and bring all these great ideas to people. As a social worker and a human it is important for me to be aware of culture and respect it, to never think I have all the answers, and to always look for strengths.

I want to share with you some strengths about Thailand and my community that I have noticed...

Thais always take care of their Elders and each other. Old people are honored and respected. This last week was mothers day. My whole family came into town from Bangkok. All my host sisters and brothers are grown and out of the house. It is so beautiful to see the family interact when everyone is here. My Yai (grandma) is very old and my Mae spends her days taking care of her, but when the kids come into town they help.  Help shower her, help feed her, help change her, snuggle her, and love her so much. My Yai is loved. So very loved and honored. Along with every other elderly person in my village. They never go hungry and they are always honored no matter what.

Thais also take care of each other.  I have a few individuals in my village that developmentally disabled.  They all have friends and they all live together. Everyone sees them as family. They are always fed and no one is afraid of them like some people may be in America. They are loved. We don't have any homeless people in my village. If you don't have a place to sleep, you can sleep at the Wat. You could never possible go hungary in my town. Everyone is always asking everyone if they ate, when, what, and are they ready to eat again!

Today I went to my Tessaban (government office) and found out some things that had recently happened in my community.....which I had no clue about.  Apparently on Mothers Day all of the kids, Tessaban Workers, and families planted trees and made compost. I had this great idea that I was going to start up a compost and gardening club that would just be amazing. Today I found out they have it already.  At first I was really bummed that no one told me about this tree planting party or that they had a super awesome compost system at the school...but then I realized...it is great they don't need me for that! They already have those skills and systems in place and that is awesome.

They also did a Global Warming Campaign with the school. Teaching about all different ways that we can do our part to help Global Warming. Now this....this was comical to me because here I am serving in the peace corps in a 3rd world country and they RECOGNIZE Global Warming. It also gave me hope.  The World is not just one nation, country or culture...it is all of us and we all have to work together to take care of it.

To close this out I would like to answer the question everyone has been asking me.."What exactly do you do?"

I am working on my heart. I am learning how to be a better global citizen. I am building relationships. I am becoming part of a family. I am becoming part of a community. I will never be the same.





1 comment:

  1. I cry so many tears every time I read your blog, Kaya! tears of pride, because I am so proud of your insightfulness and willingness to change and grow; tears of missing you because you so so SO far away; tears of happiness that you are in my life. <3

    ReplyDelete